|Original author(s)||Ziff Davis|
|Initial release||1 April 2006; 15 years ago|
|Operating system||Windows 10, Web site, Android, iOS, Apple TV, Mac, Chrome Web Store|
|Available in||11 languages|
English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Indonesian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Dutch
|Type||Internet Speed Test|
- Telus Internet Speed Test Calgary
- Telus Speed Test Vancouver
- Telus Internet Speed Test Ookla
- Telus Internet Speed Test Vancouver
- Telus Internet Speed Test Free
- What Should My Telus Internet Speed Be
No speed slow downs in the evenings or constant speed tests to see why my Internet speed is so slow. Also with fibre you get the same speed no matter what happens and the same speed down as up. On the Telus website, the deal for both Internet and TV is already better. But, I will call them to see if I can bundle my home phone and get a better deal.
Speedtest.net, also known as Speedtest by Ookla, is a web service that provides free analysis of Internet access performance metrics, such as connection data rate and latency. It is the flagship product of Ookla, a web testing and network diagnostics company founded in 2006, and based in Seattle, Washington, United States.
Measure your download and upload Internet speeds with TELUS's Internet speed test. Find faster plans so you can browse, stream and watch more online. Factors affecting internet speed. We will try and elaborate on the three factors listed above to help you to increase the internet speed in your home or office. We will try and link up the explanation of the effect of the router on this factor. There are some simple steps that can be taken to increase the internet speed that we will discuss.
Telus Internet Speed Test Calgary
The service measures the data throughput (speed) and latency (connection delay) of an Internet connection against one of around 8,000 geographically dispersed servers (as of November 2019). Each test measures the data rate for the download direction, i.e. from the server to the user computer, and the upload data rate, i.e. from the user's computer to the server. The tests are performed within the user's web browser or within apps. As of September 2018, over 21 billion speed tests have been completed.
Tests were previously performed using the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) at Layer 7 of the OSI model. To further improve accuracy, Speedtest.net now performs tests via direct Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) sockets and uses a custom protocol for communication between servers and clients.
The site also offers detailed statistics based on test results. This data has been used by numerous publications in the analysis of Internet access data rates around the world.
Apr 01, 2021 Test your bandwidth with one or more of these free internet speed test sites and then compare that information with the high-speed plan you've signed up for. The best internet speed test would be one between you and any given website you're using, but these should give a general idea of the kind of bandwidth you have available. Speedtest Intelligence® reveals TELUS was the fastest mobile operator among top providers in Canada in Q1 2021 with a Speed Score™ of 87.54 on modern chipsets. TELUS, Bell and Rogers are national providers while Fido, Freedom Mobile, and Videotron provide service on a regional basis.
The owner and operator of Speedtest.net, Ookla, was established in 2006 by partners Mike Apgar and Doug Suttles. Suttles suggested the name Ookla because he already owned the Ookla.com domain name in honor of his pet cat, who was in turn named for a character on the TV series Thundarr the Barbarian.
As of 2011, Ookla claimed 80% market share and was one of the top 1000 most popular websites. At the time, Ookla derived its revenue primarily from fees paid by companies to license custom speed test and proprietary testing software. Clients reportedly included media companies like CNN and Disney, and telecommunications providers like AT&T, Verizon, and CenturyLink.
Ookla was acquired by Ziff Davis in 2014.
|Acquisition date||Company||Country||Value (USD)||References|
|19 June 2018||Mosaik||United States|||
|9 August 2018||Downdetector||Netherlands|||
|10 October 2018||Ekahau||Finland|||
The technology of Speedtest.net is similar to that of Ookla NetGauge, which is provided to a wide variety of companies and organizations on a licensed basis. Speedtest.net Mini was a free, stripped-down Flash version of the speed test technology used on Speedtest.net that users could run on their own web servers, however it was replaced in 2016 with Speedtest Custom, an HTML5-based tool.
Telus Speed Test Vancouver
Speedtest market reports
In 2016, Speedtest began releasing market reports for different countries and cities, providing raw statistics regarding download and upload speeds for the past year for ISPs and mobile carriers. It also includes analysis of the current ISP and mobile markets of the respective country and breakdowns by region and city. ISPs and mobile carriers are ranked by their geographic performance.
|Year||Country Name (Alphabetical)||Average ISP Download||Average ISP Upload||Average Mobile Download||Average Mobile Upload||Fastest ISP Speed Score||Fastest Carrier Speed Score|
|2017||Canada||59.67 Mbit/s||18.55 Mbit/s||35.19 Mbit/s||10.29 Mbit/s||Rogers (80.02)||TELUS (42.16)|
|2017||United States||64.17 Mbit/s||22.79 Mbit/s||22.69 Mbit/s||8.51 Mbit/s||XFINITY (69.58)||T-Mobile (23.17)|
|2018||Saudi Arabia||21.66 Mbit/s||9.25 Mbit/s||17.71 Mbit/s||10.64 Mbit/s||Mobily (17.81)||STC (20.66)|
Telus Internet Speed Test Ookla
Telus Internet Speed Test Vancouver
- ^'Speedtest by Ookla APKs'. APKMirror. Retrieved 2021-03-23.
- ^'Speedtest by Ookla'. App Store. Retrieved 2021-03-23.
- ^'Speedtest by Ookla'. Mac App Store. Retrieved 2021-03-23.
- ^'Speedtest by Ookla'. chrome.google.com. Retrieved 2021-03-23.
- ^ abcHintze, Lynnette (2011-03-22). 'Mike Apgar, co-founder of Ookla, global leader in broadband speed testing'. Daily Inter Lake / fosters.com. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- ^'About Ookla'. www.ookla.com. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- ^'Speedtest Frequently Asked Questions'. www.speedtest.net. Retrieved 2019-11-07.
- ^See tests completed on page.
- ^'Broadband speeds around the world'. BBC News. December 2, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- ^Greenop, Matt (July 27, 2007). 'The truth about Kiwi broadband'. The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- ^Lane, Terry (June 24, 2007). 'Hey Telstra, forget about broadband'. The Age. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- ^'Ziff Davis Acquires Ookla... (NASDAQ:JCOM)'. Archived from the original on 2014-12-27. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- ^'Mosaik is joining Ookla'. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- ^'Downdetector is now part of Ookla'. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- ^'Ekahau is now part of Ookla'. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- ^'NetMetrics from Ookla - Internet performance database'. ookla.com.
- ^'2017 Canada Speedtest Market Snapshot'. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- ^'2017 United States Speedtest Market Report'. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- ^'2018 Saudi Arabia Speedtest Market Report'. Retrieved May 8, 2018.