Test your Internet connection bandwidth to locations around the world with this interactive broadband speed test from Ookla.
- Speedtest by Ookla
- Internet speed tests, like this one or the test found at SpeedTest.net, measure the latter, or the speed reaching the device running the test. These test results are often lower than your plan speed due to various factors outside your Internet provider's control, including WiFi conditions and device capabilities.
- First, check your Internet Speed. Connected with many devices at the same time and doing multiple tasks at the same, may impact the internet speed, such as Streaming 4k Ultra high definition video, Large Files Download, gaming, etc.,. Restart the Modem, ensure that the cable is properly connected.
Run custom seed tests on your PC. Check and display the current parameters of your online connection with graphs showing ping upload, and download speeds. View the reports detailing possible causes for slow connections and automatically troubleshoot them.
Our software library provides a free download of Speedtest by Ookla 1.13.139. The software lies within Internet & Network Tools, more precisely Network Tools. The most recent installation package that can be downloaded is 48.3 MB in size.
The most frequent installer filenames for the software are: Speedtest.exe and SpeedTest3.exe etc. This free PC software was developed to work on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 and is compatible with 32 or 64-bit systems. This free software is a product of Ookla. This download was checked by our built-in antivirus and was rated as virus free. The most popular versions of the software are 1.5, 1.1 and 1.0.
From the developer:
This program offers you the easiest way to take a speed test on your PC.
You may want to check out more software, such as Speedtest.net Mini, Hdd Speed Test Tool v. or LAN Speed Test, which might be similar to Speedtest by Ookla.
Speed Test Now
The internet has become a necessity for all of us. At the present day, the world would come to a standstill without the internet. Periodical surveys indicate the subscribers of the internet are increasing by leaps and bounds. The internet user-base has shown a rapid increase in the last few years. Therefore, it is no longer about the quantity. It is about the quality of the internet service.
Here, by quality, we are referring to the internet speed test. Understandably, many internet service providers (ISP) are now offering internet services. Most of them claim their internet speeds to be the best. However, the facts depict an entirely different picture. It demands a tool which will be able to reveal the accurate speed offered by the ISP. Fortunately, with the help of the speed test tool, you can now know the facts about your ISP. It does not involve many complications; you only require to navigate to the website speed test net and clicking on the “Go” button. It will test your upload and download speed and provide you with the results instantly.
An overview of SpeedTest.Net
The mastermind behind the speedtest.net platform is Ookla. The company has an incredible reputation in the field of internet speed test. Till date, Ookla has run more than 20 billion internet speed tests. It exemplifies the trust people have in the company for getting the most accurate internet metrics. The speed test by Ookla is ideal for broadband speed test and your mobile data network’s speed test. So, from now on, do not fall for the tall promises of the ISPs. Check the speed with this internet speed meter and then only choose your ISP.
The speed test net service is unique in many ways. While testing for the internet speeds, the facility handles hundreds of testing locations. Thus, it makes the service incredibly fast and accurate. These tests are consistently run, so you are always going to get the perfect results. For the convenience of users, they can create an account on the speed test net website and save the results for future reference. Ookla has further simplified the process of testing the internet speed for us. You can install the Ookla extension for your chrome browser. It will help you run the internet test right from your desktop. The extension supports 17 languages and has an additional feature. Speedtest is available for iOS, Android, Mac OS, Windows, Apple TV, and Google Chrome. Alongside the routine download and upload speeds, when you install the chrome extension, you can also test the time taken by a website to load. You will also be able to share the speed results with your friends.
The importance of good internet speeds
We need to use the internet for several reasons. Communication, for instance, is one of the main aspects that demand a high-speed internet service. The internet has made our world “a global village”. Now, we can communicate with our relatives and friends via voice chat, video chat and a host of other services. A slow internet connection is going to be very disappointing. You will be unable to perform your work flawlessly, something which you never expect. Video chats, in particular, will become a nightmare if you have a slow internet connection. For most people, television programs have now become a thing of the past. They prefer watching their favourite shows on their phones, at a time suitable for them. It does require a stable and a high-speed internet connection to be able to enjoy the videos without any interruptions. Speed test is going help you in determining the ISPs that offer the best speeds. So, you can run the internet speed test and then make your selection.
Other internet speed test tools and their results by Ookla
Ookla Speed Test
Ookla is consistently working on bettering the ways of testing the internet speed. Additionally, the company has come up with two essential tools which are “Speedtest Global Index” and “Global speed”. The first tool precisely highlights the internet speeds throughout the globe, and the latter reveals the average internet speed of the world. According to these tools, the findings are somewhat encouraging. As of December 2017, there has been a significant increase in the mobile download speeds, 30.1 percent to be exact. Similarly, the mobile upload speed has got a surge of 38.9 percent. The broadband speed test results are equally encouraging. The figure indicates a 31.6 percent increase for fixed broadband downloads. So, overall the internet speed is witnessing a significant upsurge.
Understanding the results of speedtest
Now, you know which tool to select for getting information on your internet speed. However, you should be able to interpret the test results accurately. We believe everyone should understand the internet speed results correctly. Remember, the internet speed test needs to run on a regular basis. Read on to know more.
Generally, your ISP will lure you with a high download speed when you approach them for an internet connection. The internet speed is measured in megabits per second (Mbps). Speed test net will examine and tell you if you are getting the speed as promised by your ISP. Additionally, it checks for other factors like upload speed and latency. Here we further elaborate on these aspects:
- Download speed: The download speed signifies the time taken for the content located on a different computer to be available to your computer.
- Upload speed: As the name suggests, this is the opposite of the above. The upload speeds denote the time taken by you to upload contents to the internet. An important point to remember here, most internet users stress on the download speeds only. However, the upload speed is equally important as most of us regularly share personal pictures, videos and music with others.
- Ping (Latency): The Ping denotes the amount of latency in a computer network. Precisely, this indicates the total time taken for data to travel from one computer to another. The time calculation involved is in milliseconds.
Here is a look at the different test results and the things you will be able to do with it.
- 1Mbps: The 1Mbps speed will let you stream compressed music and standard definition (SD) videos on your devices. If you need to surf the internet at normal speeds this speed should suffice.
- 2Mbps: With the 2Mbps speed, you will be able to stream any form of music without any interruptions. At the same time, the rate will let you stream SD quality videos to your TV.
- 5mbps: The speed which most users are looking for currently. You will seamlessly be able to stream HD (720p) videos.
- 10Mbps: The 10Mbps speed means serious business. You have the luxury of streaming Full HD content (1080p) content along with high-definition audio on your devices.
- 25Mbps: The ultimate, at this speed you will be able to stream Ultra high-definition or 4K videos on your devices.
Do remember, speedtest performs the necessary tests assuming only one device is using the internet. Today, in most homes, multiple devices are sharing the internet. When more devices use the service, understandably the speed will become lesser. In case, you are a person who wants to use multiple devices and also enjoy the best internet speeds then you have to invest in a high-end dual-band router.
Factors to get the accurate internet speed results
As already mentioned before, the speed test is a reliable name for testing your internet speed. But, there can be situations when problems at your end can lead to an inaccurate result. So, you should always note the points we are going to mention below and then test the speed of your internet.
- Restart the modem and router: Honestly, not many of us restart our modems and routers before we proceed to test the internet speed. These devices work in pairs to handle our requests, downloading pages and much more. When you try to check the internet speed in the middle of something, the modem and routers are already busy with a lot of things. The speed test results in such circumstances are bound to be erroneous. By restarting them, you are making them start afresh, and now you will get the accurate results of your speed.
- Do not use the internet during the test: If you are using the internet while taking the speed test, the results will not be precise. So, take care that there are no running downloads in the background or no updates are running as well.
- Clear the cache: Most of us have come across this advice, but we seldom clear the browser cache. As we already mentioned before, you must test your internet speed on a regular basis. The test results of the previous tests may already be there in the cache if you do not clear it. Thus, it will lead to a faulty reading.
- Restart your device before the test: You may be thinking that the restarting stuff is becoming one too many. But it does help a lot. When you restart your computer afresh, the test results are accurate.
- An HTML5 Internet Speed Test: Now, you will find several procedures for testing the internet speed. Of course, the speed test by Ookla is one of the best, but if you ever wish to try some other services also, then it should be an HTML5 based test. There are multiple flash based tests which are often inaccurate. Speed Test by Ookla also happens to be an HTML5 based test; thus it can provide such perfect results. You are welcome to search online to understand the differences between an HTML5 and a flash based test.
Speedtest for mobile phones
Mobile users are increasingly using the internet services. In fact, the numbers of individuals accessing the internet via their phones are more in comparison to those who use desktops and laptops. Ookla offers you the ability to test your cellular performance and test your Wi-Fi performance as well.
Test the Cellular performance: With the help of Speed test service, you can access a range of mobile applications. These apps can accurately test the performance of your cellular connection, and they include tests for the LTE, 4G, 3G, EDGE and EVDO networks. Now, you will be able to know whether your service provider truly delivers the speed it promises.
Test the Wi-Fi performance: Again, Wi-Fi is fast becoming indispensable for everyone. Today, multiple devices require the functionalities of the internet. You need to ascertain that the Wi-Fi you have set up is robust. A weak Wi-Fi signal will never help your cause. You can use the Speed Test services to test your Wi-Fi performance. Additionally, the speed test net website has an elaborate explanation on how you can get the best out of your Wi-Fi system.
About Ookla and its platform SpeedTest
The speed test platform was launched in the year 2006 by Ookla. Since then, they have been seamlessly analysing several internet metrics that include connection data rate and latency. Typically, the speed test platform implements various ways of measuring the bandwidth and the latency of your internet connection. The test is carried on against one of 4,759 (as per records till August 2016) servers distributed all over the world. Eventually, speed test measures the rate of data for download and upload. The speed test service is available for everyone free of cost. They need to use their browser or various apps to initiate the test.
Ookla has been consistently working to improve the test results. In pursuit of this aspect, speed test evaluation is done via TCP sockets, and Ookla uses a custom protocol to communicate with the servers and the clients. Previously, the HTT protocol at Layer 7 of the OSI model was the protocol to determine the test results.
Online Ookla Net Speed Check
We hope that the detailed information about Speed Test services will help you in determining the internet speed. If the test results consistently depict results that are below par, you should immediately consider changing your ISP and move forward to something better.
Top SpeedTest Tools or Websites