- To test your internet speed, Google 'internet speed test' and click the blue 'Run speed test' button under the first result.
- You have a good internet speed if you are at or above 25 Mbps for downloads.
- To make your internet faster, move closer to your router, regularly disconnect and update your devices, or buy new equipment.
- Visit Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you're looking to change your internet provider, or are considering increasing your internet speed, it's a good idea to know where your internet speed currently stands. This will help you better understand what you want and need from a new internet plan.
Google offers a simple and fast tool for doing this, and you can easily access it by initiating a Google search. This Google speed test measures your internet speed in megabits per second, or Mbps. The test determines your internet speed by measuring the amount of data that can move through your connection.
Here's what you need to know to take Google's internet speed test, how to determine whether your internet is fast, and tips for improving speed.
How to use Google's internet speed test
- Go to Google and enter 'internet speed test' in the search bar.
At the top of the first page of search results, in the box labeled 'Internet speed test,' click the blue 'Run Speed Test' button.© Devon Delfino/Business Insider This test will be the first result. Devon Delfino/Business Insider
A pop-up window will appear featuring what looks like a speedometer similar to what you'd see in a car. Wait as the test first measures your download speed than upload speed. It takes about 30 seconds to complete.© Devon Delfino/Business Insider Your internet speed will be analyzed. Devon Delfino/Business Insider
Once the test is finished, Google's internet speed test will display your results with an assessment of your connection speed. Your results are given in terms of megabits per second, or Mbps. The higher your Mbps count, the better.
Quick tip: You may also see a 'Latency' reading. This is a measure of how quickly you get a response from your server and is given in milliseconds, or ms. Here, the lower your number, the better.
What is a good internet speed?
The FCC's standard for a fast internet connection is at least 25 Mbps for downloads, and 3 Mbps for uploads.
Www speedtest netHow fast is your download speed? In seconds, FAST.com's simple Internet speed test will estimate your ISP speed. Mar 29, 2021 How to Test Your Home WiFi Speed in 3 Easy Steps. Devices can slurp internet as fast as their internal radios allow, so if one old laptop or computer in particular is sluggish, it might be on.
Internet download speeds that exceed 25 Mbps are considered fast and can range anywhere from 100 Mbps to 2,000 Mbps. To be considered a fast internet connection for four or more simultaneous users and devices, you'll certainly want more than 25 Mbps.
Internet upload speeds tend to be lower, and back in 2015, the FCC recommended that you have at least 3 Mbps, but many consider 5 Mbps to be fast, with available speeds going up to 50 Mbps.
Quick tip: Keep in mind that your internet speed is constantly changing, depending on how close you are to your router, how many devices are on the network, and how much data you're currently using. So taking the test while you're alone in your house will give you higher results than taking the test while five people stream Netflix.
How to make your internet speed faster
If you find your internet speeds lagging, but don't want to jump into the market for a new internet plan or new equipment, there are a couple of things you can do to help boost your internet speed:
Who Has The Fastest Wifi Speed
- Disconnect and turn off devices you aren't using. In the digital age, we've often got multiple devices at the ready, but all of them being connected and running in the literal background of your life can slow your internet speeds down.
- Move closer to your gateway or get a Wi-Fi extender. How far away you and your devices are from your internet gateway, router, and/or modem can really have an impact on the speed and stability of your connection. Remove the walls, appliances, building material, and other obstructions of your home from between you and your Wi-Fi signal.
- Try a wired connection with your console or computer. When you opt to stream 4K UHD video, play on your gaming console, or video conference with other people, that can put a lot of strain on your Wi-Fi connection. Ethernet cords, which offer you a wired connection between your gateway and personal devices will help speed up those more demanding connections.
Wifi Speed Test Fast Com
- Reboot and update devices regularly. Sometimes the issue isn't your connection - it's your device. Make sure you are rebooting your devices regularly instead of leaving them in sleep mode. Also be sure to keep your apps, consoles, and computers updated. And do the same for your anti-virus programs, drivers, firmware, and computer and device software. This will help clear system errors and have it working or playing at top speed.
- Update your gateway devices. If speeds are noticeably slowing and you've got older Wi-Fi devices, it might be time for an equipment upgrade. Consider getting a dual-band router, or preferably a triple-band 5GHZ band model. Once you have it, access your router's settings and flip the channel from auto to one of the other options.